Does a uterus fibroid cause complications in conception?

Infertility Specialist
Please see my Ultrasound report below. I'd like to know whether this fibroid prevents me from pregnancy. Is there any option beside surgery to get rid of it without damaging uterus? CLINICAL INDICATIONS: pelvic mass SE (LOCATION) CLINICAL COMMENTS: Pregnancy Information:N TRANSABDOMINAL PELVIC ULTRASOUND; TRANSVAGINAL ULTRASOUND: Transabdominal and transvaginal evaluation of the pelvis was done. The uterus is 10.0 cm in length and 1.8 x 7.4 cm in transverse dimension. The endometrium is 4 mm in thickness. There is a 6.7 cm mural and subserosal mass in the posterior fundus. There is no evidence of intrauterine pregnancy.No significant abnormality of the bladder is demonstrated. There is suboptimal visualization of the ovaries. The right ovary is 2.5 x 1.8 x 1.5 cm in size. The left ovary is 2.3 x 1.7 x 1.4 cm in size. There is no evidence of cysts, adnexal masses, or free fluid in the pelvis. IMPRESSION: Fibroid uterus
Posted Wed, 26 Mar 2014 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: Fibroid may affect conception. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to HCM. The fibroid which you are having won't prevent conception altogether, but it will reduce chance of conception. In studies, it has been found that any mural fibroid more than 5cm in size reduces chance of conception. Bigger hindrance in conception for you can be irregular menses & age. Irregular menses imply oligo/anovulation (lack of ovulation) & pregnancy can't happen without ovulation. Regarding age, fertility declines after 37 years of age & it declines rapidly after 42. So you need some active treatment with highest success rate in time, which is of course IVF/ICSI. Regarding fibroid's effect on conception, it depends on what treatment you choose for conception. If you want to go for IVF/ICSI, removal of fibroid will increase chance of pregnancy. Only exception for removal is if fibroid is totally subserous, but in your case its mural & subserous fibroid, so better to get it removed. Hope this helps you. Let me know if you have other concerns. Regards.
Follow-up: Does a uterus fibroid cause complications in conception? 37 minutes later
Thanks for your response. Which procedure would you recommend to remove the fibroid? Thanks,
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Laparoscopic removal. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. I would prefer laparoscopic removal of fibroid. Though MRI guided ultrasound destruction is other noninvasive option, its long term effect for conception is not known. You can go for laparoscopic removal which is time tested safer method. Regards.
Follow-up: Does a uterus fibroid cause complications in conception? 24 minutes later
Have you heard that eating ginger with every meal will shrink the fibroid? Is there any other medicine to shrink the fibroid? Thanks,
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Medicines not advisable. Detailed Answer: Hi, Frankly I don't know about use of ginger to reduce size of fibroid. Regarding medicines to shrink fibroid, yes there are medicines like mifepristone. But there are two important aspects, 1. These medicines will prevent pregnancy. So as long as you take them, you can't conceive. 2. Fibroid will regrow when you stop medicines & start trying for pregnancy. So medicines are not of much help. Better to go for laparoscopic removal. Regards.
Follow-up: Does a uterus fibroid cause complications in conception? 45 hours later
Have you heard VEF or minimally invasive hysterectomy and surgery for endometriosis using the daVinci robot? What would be the cons and pros for these two procedures? Thanks,
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Robotically assisted myomectomy? Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. What you need is myomectomy (removal of fibroid) because you want conception, and not hysterectomy (removal of uterus). Robotic myomectomy has no added advantage over & above laparoscopic myomectomy, it will cost more & not all surgeons have expertize in doing it. If your insurance covers for robotic myomectomy, you can go for it. Otherwise laparoscopic myomectomy is better option. Laparoscopic myomectomy on the other hand is well established procedure, cheaper than robotic one & has much evidence to support its use as it is in practice for a loner time than robotic one. Regards.