Does a person diagnosed with TB and taking drugs regularly still needs to take TB shots?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
does a sick person diagnosed with TB who is prescripted to take a maintenance drug against TB regularly still needs to take TB shots?....his current medication is rifampicin 150mg, isoniazid 75mg, pyrazinamaide 400mg, ethambotol 275mg...he insist that his doctor urges him to take injections against TB as it really necessary?when i asked if it is necessary i meant are the shots/injections still needed even with the maintenance medicine he is taking?

Posted Tue, 13 Nov 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
I assume you have been advised Intramuscular injections of streptomycin as a antitb treatment during the intensive phase of treatment ( 2 months ).
In category two patients of Tb which includes sputum positive inadequately treated ( failures , relapses, defaulters) the regimen includes five drugs ie oral isoniazid , ripampin, pyrazinamide , ethambutol as well as im streptomycin .
In such case it is necessary to take these shots in addition to the daily oral medicines .
Also in cases of drug resistant tuberculosis Injectible streptomycin or Amikacin may be given as second line treatment .

However it is likely to be given during the first two months of treatment and will be stopped after that as per your doctors advice.
So please do not miss any shots if your doctor has advised you so . It must be required in your particular case of Tb .

Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries .
Wishing you a speedy recovery .