Does a dog scratch require anti rabies vaccination ?

General Surgeon
good morning doctor!
I have a dog in my home. i had a bit me about 8 monhts back and i took the entire scheduled course of rabipur. today morning i accidentally stepped on him cos of which i got a scratch for on my hand (from teeth). Am i required to take vaccination once again
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Vaccinations
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 8 minutes later

If you had a full course of anti rabies vaccination just eight months back ,you really don`t need repeat vaccination.To be on safer side some people recommend three doses for second bite or injury due to dog.So if you want to be sure you can go for three doses only.

My unguarded advice would be that there is no need for the second course, as the immunity provided by a single course lasts for 2 to 3 years..

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries, Wish you Good Health.
Follow-up: Does a dog scratch require anti rabies vaccination ? 1 hour later
I had taken the rabipur course as follows:
29 sep, 1 oct, 8 oct, 13 oct and 28 oct of 2010. My dog is vaccinated as per veterinarian advise.
I am i required to vaccinate again or tt atleast.
how long does the course I have taken will suffice
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 2 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

Anti rabies vaccination once administered gives immunity for three years. As you were immunized 8 months back & your dog is also fully immunized. There appears to be no need for re-vaccination.

But it is always better to go for a 3 day schedule of rabipur and a dose of Tetanus.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you speedy recovery.