Does TB occur in one form only or can it be multiple. Is it contagious?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases

My husband is under investigation for TB of the lymph nodes. A sample has been taken from the lymph node and results are awaited. Does TB occur in one form only or can it be multiple - e.g. lymph nodes + lungs. Also please let me know if it can be contagious? I am pregnant and hence more worried.
Posted Fri, 26 Oct 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 21 minutes later
Answer 1. Tb is a chronic bacterial infection that can affect multiple organ systems like lungs , lymph nodes , brain, kidneys , intestine , skin , etc
Answer 2. Not all types of Tb are contagious and it varies from patient to patient depending on the severity of infection , site ( lungs are most likely to spread airborne infection, lymph nodes are not) , immunity of patient , susceptibility of contact.
However all close contacts of Tb patients should ideally be screened for the infection to be on the safer side . So I would advise you get yourself tested though its very unlikely in your case ( if only lymph nodes are involved).

Hope I have answered your queries.
Kindly accept my answer in case you have no further queries.