Ask a Dentist   »  

Does Novocaine injection cause hearing loss?

Went to dentist 3 weeks ago for replacement of crown on molar. Have had hearing loss in left ear since. Hearing is muffled. Feel this when I speak or eat. Can novocaine injection have caused this. If yes, will hearing return to normal.
Posted Mon, 23 Dec 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Rogers Nditanchou 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: No panicking yet. be calm Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, It is not rare to experience what you are experiencing after such a procedure. This is a common feel most patents do feel after this procedure. This is explained by the fact that nerves innervating both mouth, tooth and ear areas are touched during this process. many sensitive nerves are found in the head region, reason why it is too sensitive to pain. You might simple pain killers like Acetaminophen in case you experience any pains. This feeling should normally fade out within a couple of days. IN case in seven days after the procedure you continue having the feeling, you might need to consult your doctor. But you need not panic now, be cool. Thanks and hope this helps as I caution you to be calm and watchful. Kind regards as I wish you the best of health. Dr Rogers