Does Multaq affect thyroid functionality?

I am currently taking Multaq for my AFIB condition. I am not in AFIB now, with my last cardioversion 10 Oct 2013. Previously I was taking Amiodarone and was changed to Multaq because of decreased lung capacity. Age 82. My question is - Does Multaq effect the Thyroid like Amiodarone does?
Posted Tue, 18 Feb 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer....given below Detailed answer.... Hello, Thanks for the query. MUTITAQ ( DRONEDARONE )  is a benzofuran derivative related to amiodarone, a popular antiarrhythmic. The use of amiodarone is limited by toxicity due its high iodine content (pulmonary fibrosis, thyroid disease) as well as by liver disease.  DRONEDARONE is structurally related to amiodarone but doesn't contain iodine atoms and thus it's toxic effects on thyroid and other organs are reduced. In addition it is less LIPOPHILIC and has very short half life compared to amiodarone making it less toxic. I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks