Does Galvust met causes abdominal pain?

Greetings Dr. I am 64 years old male and am taking Galvus met for last 2 years once daily. My fasting blood sugar now is 121 mg. Now I have lagging pain on the right side of abdomen. I had appendectomy 14 years back. Now colonoscopy was done and it is normal. CT Abdomen shows left side inguinal hernia. Lliver pancreas and kidneys are normal. No Kidney stones are noted. But I have pain on rt side of lower abdomen. Can the right side abdomen pain be due to side effect of Galvust met?
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: No worries, liver function tests Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, It is great your radiologic examination results are ok, and do not deserve any cause for panic. Galvus Met, in some rare occasions has been associated with mild to moderate toxicity and inflammation of the liver. This could, in some circumstances, explain the right sided abdominal pain you are experiencing. It shall be important to get liver enzymes tested for. These are called liver transaminases (ASAT and ALAT). In case they are elevated, stopping the drug might be advocated. the good news is that after stopping the drug, most patients do come back to normal liver function, without leaving any serious sequelae. It is however important to get a proper examination from your family physician to exclude other causes of right sided abdominal pain. I do not think however, it should be something very serious, based on the radiologic findings. No bothering for now, as I think the drug could for sure partly explain why you experience this pain. The opinion of a doctor, after a clinical review is most welcome. Kind regards. DR Bain