Does D and C procedure lead to heavy periods accompanied by severe headaches?

Mar 2013
I had a D&C on XXXXXXX 9th to help with my heavy periods (ablation was not an option because I have an extremely small uterus). Over the weekend, I started spot bleeding, which led to regular menstrual bleeding accompanied by a massive migraine headache. Still bleeding today; headache is getting better. Not sure if this is "normal" after a D&C or not. I do have a dr. appt on Thursday for follow up from my surgery but wasn't sure if I should be seen sooner.
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Have you ever had a history of menstrual migraines earlier too ? As the headache is getting better, do not worry about it. If you had headaches with your periods earlier, do not worry. If not, then this could be a once - off event, maybe due to hormonal changes. If it recurs, evaluation is warranted. Regarding the bleeding 10 days after a D and C, no it is not normal. SPotting is normal, but a proper period just within 10 days is not. As you already had heavy periods, maybe the hormonal imbalance is still persisting, and the endometrium ( uterine lining ) has grown back. It would be difficult to comment without knowing the results of the biopsy that was taken on the 9th of XXXXXXX You can wait it out till Thursday unless you start bleeding profusely, with clots. All the best and please feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: Does D and C procedure lead to heavy periods accompanied by severe headaches? 6 minutes later
There are no clots, just normal bleeding with cramping. So, since there is no clotting, you feel I can wait until my appointment on Thirsday? I do not need to contact my doctor today? I do get headaches withy periods and on very rare occasions have had migraines. This one was a doozy! Thank you.
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Yes, as this is normal bleeding, you can wait until Thursday. If it gets heavy then please contact your doctor. Take care. Thank you for the appreciation.