Does Bactrim affect birth control implant?

Took generic brand of bectrim for a UTI for 5 days. Would this affect my Nexplanon birth control implant?
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Saul Weinreb 1 hour later
Brief Answer: No, Detailed Answer: Thank you for using XXXXXXX I would love to help you Bactrim will not effect your nexplanon. One of the advantages of the implant over using pills is that it avoids passing through the liver to get processed, like pills do. When pills get processed by your liver when you are on antibiotics, the liver fil;ters out the birth control faster than usual so the blood levels are lower, hence they could be less effective. However, the nexplanon does not have this problem. I wouldn't worry about the effectiveness of the nexplanon that you are using. I hope this was helpful to you, please let me know if you have any more questions.