Does Accutane effect the rate at which alcohol is broken down in the body?

I want to know if taking accutane can effect the rate at which alcohol is broken down in the body?
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 5 hours later
Brief Answer: alcohol should be avoided while taking accutane Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for your query. Alcohol intake should be avoided while on treatment as isotretinoin (accutane) is metabolized (broken down) by cytochrome P450 enzymes, which are induced by ethanol, resulting in reduced efficacy of accutane. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.
Follow-up: Does Accutane effect the rate at which alcohol is broken down in the body? 11 hours later
Let me give you a little more detail so you can answer my question more correctly. I was arrested for suspicion of driving under the influence last weekend and I drank 6 drinks in 8 hrs and my blood alcohol was .09. I am a 42 year old male weighing 185 Lbs. What I want to know is if taking accutane can inhibit the breakdown of alcohol, which would help explain how my blood alcohol content was so high after consuming only 6 drinks?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Please refer below Detailed Answer: As I mentioned, alcohol influences metabolism of accutane, NOT the reverse. Hence your blood alcohol level was not influenced by accutane. Alcohol metabolism varies a lot among individuals and thus two persons consuming same amount of alcohol within same time may have entirely different blood alcohol levels. Also from medical point of view, 6 drinks is not considered 'only'. It is actually a lot of alcohol! Regards