Does 'Abnormal ECG,Sinus Rhythm,normal P axis,V-rate 50-99,Abnormal Q" suggest heart attack?

My 18 year old son got his yearly physical and the dr. said everything was fine, but the print out of his visit shows - Abnormal ECG - Sinus Rhythm, normal P axis, V-rate 50-99, Abnormal Q suggests anterior infarct, Q > 30mS in V2-V4 ? Doesn't this mean he had a heart attack?? I'm going to make him go to a cardiologist, but meanwhile, been stressing out, reading on the internet, but most of this ECG stuff is greek to me. :(
Posted Sat, 28 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: Dont panic Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. The print out that you are mentioning is basically an automated report by the machine and not that of a human. The technology of automated machinery reporting is still not well developed to rely upon. If your doctor has gone through the ECG report and feels its fine, and especially if there are no symptoms as of now, then there is no need to worry about. Secondly the automated response suggests that there are changes in the "Q" which are old changes and if that has to be agreed upon then there was an old ischemic injury to heart and nothing acute. And hence nothing urgent has to be done at present. At age 18 with no symptoms and human report stating that things are fine, the n there is no need to panic. You are as such planning to visit a cardiologist, so have patience and there is nothing urgent to do as of now. Most probably things should be fine. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.