Do not get satisfactory erection. Is this a psychological problem?

Trouble having intercourse I am a 28 yr old male 5'10" tall and abt 80 kgs in weight. I get good errection and i ejaculate well when i masturbate. However when i get ready for a intercourse i dont get a satisfactory Errection. Is this a psychological problem. Am i getting anxious or tensed that causes this? I have not been able to have an intercourse so far. Please advise.
Posted Sun, 30 Sep 2012 in Erectile Dysfunction
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 47 minutes later
This situation is called as psychological impotency where you have good erection and are able to achieve orgasm during masturbation.This is obviously not a medical problem like diabetes or circulatory problems or alcoholism or obesity.
This seems like it's stemmed in performance anxiety.
Perhaps your mind is preoccupied with some issues like your job or your family issues or possibility of pregnancy or disease or your continued anxiety because of past failures in sexual penetration.
Some times inability to have a proper communication with your partner could be the cause.
You can take following measures like
 Tell your partner(s) that you'd like to stick with foreplay and abstain from intercourse at first;most women will appreciate your honesty, and this will prevent the woman from feeling that she's lacking in some way or that you don't desire her.
 Get to know your next partner VERY WELL before attempting intercourse; be with someone you can trust and that can be supportive.
I think if you are able to communicate well with your partner,you should be able to overcome this problem.
Try this for a month and see the response.
If still unsuccessful,you may take the help of a urologist who can counsel you well.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any other query.
Best of luck
Follow-up: Do not get satisfactory erection. Is this a psychological problem? 24 hours later
Thanks for your reply. I just got married abt a couple of months back. So its very important that i get well soon so that no problm cmes in our married life. Are there any specific foods that will help me boost my sexual health? If so please suggest.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 57 minutes later
Although shedding weight,avoiding alcohol and smoking and doing regular exercises are the best sexual health boosters but still there some foods which are supposed to give extra punch o your sex life like
Fish,avocadoes,spinach,citrus fruits,pumpkin seeds,oysters etc.
Follow-up: Do not get satisfactory erection. Is this a psychological problem? 4 days later
Thanks doctor. What are the ways to overcome this performance anxiety?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 6 hours later
Please read my answer again as written above.
Quit smoking and and cut down alcohol
Do regular exercises
Shed some weight.
Eat light.
Remove stress by resorting to yoga and XXXXXXX breathing exercises.
Must talk to your sexual partner regarding this and take her in your confidence.She will help you the most
Don't let the frustration creep in you.
Loss of erection just before penetration is very common with men and is always temporary.
If you still feel unable to do it,you may consult a sex therapist for the counseling.
Best of luck