Do not feel full, light headedness, nausea. Family history of Celiac's disease. Anybody have a clue?

Hello, a few years ago my mom found out she had celiac's disease and her doc said to have us kids get checked. Well, I did but it came back negative, I think because I had already stopped eating glutens at that point. Anyway, as long as I don't eat glutens, I feel fibro, no IBS, lost weight, no more rashes etc., but now I cannot get full. I always seem to be hungry. I eat well, about 4 to 5 little meals a day or I get hypoglycemic type symptoms. I do eat the Udi's gluten-free bread for filler with at least 1 to 2 of those meals a day. If I have soup, I add rice, etc. I just cannot get full. I've also been experiencing light headedness/white outs, but not true vertigo, nausea and near vomiting but nothing comes up. Anybody have a clue? I don't have insurance so I'm hoping to be able to be helped without having to go in.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 13 hours later
Thanks for posting your query

The present symptoms could be due to -
1) Acid peptic disease and gastric ulcer - Exedrin contains aspirin which impairs gastric protective measures and is associated with gastric ulcers. Gastric ulcers are typically associated with a feeling of increased appetite as eating relieves the symptoms.
2) Inadequate food or fibre intake because of the restrictions imposed by a GFD.
3) Poor quality sleep

I would suggest that you see your treating physician who can evaluate you and prescribe appropriate therapy.

Celiac disease has a genetic component and is frequently known to cluster in family. The antibody that is tested - tTGA IgA that is used to screen for celiac disese gradually decreases in titre with time if a person is off gluten and may become negative after 6-9ms of gluten free diet (GFD). As GFD is a lifelong commitment, I would suggest that you should confirm the diagnosis

Follow-up: Do not feel full, light headedness, nausea. Family history of Celiac's disease. Anybody have a clue? 11 hours later
Thank you for responding. I get the part about the acid peptic disease but I very rarely take the excedrin. Is the light headedness/whiteouts symptoms of acid peptic disease? I feel like I'm malnourished, shakiness on the inside, and being hungry all the time. I do not have stomach pain...just bouts of hunger all throughout the day, and still feel hungry right after eating. I get plenty of fiber with the GFD...lots of vegy's and fruits...mmmmm, love them, and I do eat the whole grain gluten free bread as well. I eat red meat as well cooked medium to help with the fiber at least once a week. My bowels work fine, and I have not seen any melana or BRB. Like I said, I have a very good diet despite being gluten-free. I do work in the medical field and I know to try antacids, but they have failed me as well. I've been doing the GFD for about 1-1/2 years now. As far as confirming the Dx of CD, I do not have insurance, the blood tests came back negative, so the next step is a colonoscopy and I cannot afford that without insurance so I just stay away from glutens at all costs.

Again, the reason I tried this is because I do not have insurance and do not want to waste time and money to do research to most likely find nothing. It would be worth it, so-to-speak, if something came of it so I can treat or cure, but by the time we figure that out, I would be thousands in debt with medical bills.

Please help...
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 17 hours later
Hi and thanks for the clarification,

Acid peptic disease does present with all the described symptoms and antacids aren't the most effective way to treat them.

If you want to give a therapeutic trial, I would suggest you to take a twice a day course of proton pump inhibitors along with prokinetics for atleast 2 week period.

Thyroid disorders can also explain some of your complaints. Further throid problems frequently accompany celiac disease. I suggest you discuss with your primary doctor who can help you rule out thyroid problem (if that has not been checked yet).

Diagnosis of celiac disease is by a positive tTGA antibodies and a histopathological diagnosis of villous atrophy on a duodenal biopsy. Oesophago-gastro-duodenoscopy would show groving and scalloping of duodenal folds. Colonoscopy has no role in establishing a diagnosis of celiac disease. A gastroenterologist can guide you through these procedures to rule out celiac disease.

Hope I have answered all your queries. Please accept my answer if you do not have any further queries.