Do beta-blockers raise blood pressure?

Hello, I have a question about amphetamines and more generally stimulant drugs. I know that taking beta-blockers with amphetamines is XXXXXXX since it actually rises blood pressure, but what about taking beta-blockers that also are antagonists of the alpha receptors? Also do amphetamines usually rise or lower blood pressure? I have a borderline-low BP and when I take some I have a feeling it lowers it since I get dizzy even more easily when standing up. Thanks you for your time and sorry for the junkie question.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Amphetamines as such cause cardiac stimulation resulting in a rise in heart rate and blood pressure. Taking it with beta blockers raises the blood pressure further as it increases the release of other stimulant neurotransmitters like dopamine.
If taken with centrally acting alpha receptor blockers then the sudden rise in blood pressure may be prevented on taking beta - blockers.
Feeling dizzy can be due to the central side effects or in some patients who consume it routinely it can produce hypotension also.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.