Dizzy, always tired, constant urge to go to toilet. I am epileptic

Hi I have recently been get really dizzy , always tired and keep needing the toilet when ever I eat. I am 24 and have been an epileptic since I was 6 . But have never felt like this till now
Posted Sun, 30 Sep 2012 in Epilepsy
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 47 minutes later

The symptoms that you have mentioned are not directly due to the epilepsy. But it is possible that such symptoms may be caused by the side effects of medications taken for epilepsy. If there was a recent change in the medications than this possibility is still higher.

Some more information is needed to answer your query further. So please do not mind answering the below question:
1. Current medications and blood levels if recently done?
2. How is the seizure control and when was the last seizure?
3. Frequent visits to toilet are for stools or for passing urine?
4. How long does the dizziness stays?

Awaiting your response...

Follow-up: Dizzy, always tired, constant urge to go to toilet. I am epileptic 2 hours later
I am on eplim and lamogine, my epilepsy is under control and I have them monthly . I have always been on the drugs above and my stools and urine . It depends can last up to a minute or 10 mins depends if I'm sitting up or standing it's worse when I'm standing .
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 2 hours later

If the dizziness is worse in upright position then we need to rule out orthostatic hypotension, where in blood pressure falls in upright posture. The fall results in decreased blood supply to the brain and the giddiness.

You can get your blood pressure tested to look for such fall in BP after standing.

In addition I also would suggest a thyroid function test.

You can consult your treating doctor. He/she will be able to treat you based on the results of the test. Regular follow up with the doctor is entailed.

Good luck!!!