Dizziness post flight, eye catacts, narrow ear canals, ED, hearing loss. Cause of dizziness ?

ENT Specialist
My Filipino friend is 75. He came to the UK last December for 5 months. He flew back on May 12th and has been dizzy every since he got off the plane. He has severe catacts in both eyes, narrow ear canals, ED, has some hearing loss but otherwise OK. Will this dizziness go away of its own accord?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

With this brief history it is difficult to come to a conclusion as to what could be the exact cause of this problem. Dizziness at this age following the fight journey raises few suspicions. It could be either a cardiac or brain related problem or an inner related condition.

He has to undergo a thorough evaluation to rule out cardiac or brain related problem, as it has already been two weeks since he started to suffer from this problem. In relation to, the pre-disposing factors such as diabetes, blood pressure and cholesterol (as per your description), there could have been reduced blood supply to the brain (such as Transient Ischaemic Attacks) and hence this dizziness or dysbalance.

Apart from this, it could be an inner ear related problems (such as Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo or Labyrinthine related problem). And, more over if the dizziness were to be secondary to the inner ear problems, it should have been subsided by now.

Hence, without a proper examination it is difficult to arrive at a conclusion. But, I would still suspect it to be a cardiac related problem.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any more doubts you are welcome.

Dr. Naveen Kumar