Dizziness on waking from sleep, tilting head, head heaviness. Sinus related ?

When I woke up today I was extremely dizzy. And when I tilt my head to the left or right I get really dizzy. It feels like my head is heavy but empty. What could it be and what should I do? Is it something serious?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 32 minutes later
Repeated spells of dizziness that too within a few days definitely need attention. Dizziness can be there due to multiple reasons but at your age there are few possibilities that are coming to my mind-
1. Anaemia- reduced blood hemoglobin levels. This can be ruled out by getting a complete blood picture done.
2.Cardiac problem- Missing heart beats are one of the common causes of dizziness or it might happen due to some irregularities in the cardiac impulse. This can be ruled out on having an ECG done.
3.Weakness, any infections in the recent past, lack of proper regular meals, as a side effect of some medicines, etc.
4. Vertigo- usually associated with ringing ears.
All these factors will have to be ruled out with the help of your physician to come to the actual problem for treatment.
You can help yourself by-
1.Sit immediately when you feel dizzy to avoid any possible injuries
2. Avoid taking on high stress or concentration requiring activities such as driving a car or operating machinery if you experience frequent dizziness spells
3.Rise slowly from bed or spend a few minutes in bed before waking up this helps normalize blood pressure

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Dizziness on waking from sleep, tilting head, head heaviness. Sinus related ? 2 hours later
Is there a possibility that it could be sinus related?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 14 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.

Sinus infection as such may cause weakness and viral syndrome which can cause dizziness but the chances are remote.

Wishing you an early recovery.