Dizziness, imbalance, loss of hearing, ringing ears, nervousness. Reason?

ENT Specialist
I have episodes of dizziness, imbalance, loss of hearing, ringing in ears and nervousness etc since the last 2-3 years. I want to understand what my problem could be and how it can be treated.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 4 hours later

Thanks for the query

Presuming your age to be either in the third or fourth decade, the following symptoms of giddiness, tinnitus and hearing loss could be attributed to an inner ear disease condition called Meniere’s disease.

Meniere’s disease or ‘Endolymphatic Hydrops’ is an inner ear condition secondary to the distension of endolymphatic space within the balancing organs of the inner ear. The exact cause is not known it could be due to trauma or inner ear infections, auto immune disease, etc. The endolymph buildup in the labyrinth interferes with the normal balance and hearing signals between the inner ear and the brain. This abnormality causes vertigo and other symptoms of Ménière’s disease. It can occur in any age between 30 – 60years and more commonly in females. The disease can be very difficult to treat because its course is very unpredictable.

The treatment includes salt restriction, fluid clearing techniques using thiazide diuretics and if the condition is not responding to the following medical management ‘Vestibular ablation’ is carried out by instillation of ototoxic medication into the ear.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any more doubts you are welcome.

Dr. Naveen Kumar
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon