Dizziness, blurred vision, dark smudge in eyesight, blind spots

I just left the chiropractor today and felt a little dizziness within an hour of the treatment. I didnt think anything of it until I realized that I was having a little bit of blurred vision. I then realized that when I close one eye I can see/read perfectly but when I switch eyes it is blurry right in the center. (Like there is a dark smudge XXXXXXX in the middle) I tried to blink repeatedly with the one eye and I see a dark spot in the middle constantly. I have had perfect vision my whole life. What could have happened?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 22 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

I honestly feel you should proceed immediately for an evaluation of your eye by a trained physician. It is certainly not normal to have a visual deficit such as you describe. Sometimes blurring of central vision can occur from changes in the pressure behind your eye. In addition, changes in the retina can cause peculiar symptoms including "blind spots" or central visual deficits as you report here. Finally, we consider the blood flow to the eye itself and disturbances in blood flow can sometimes trigger visual changes.

I strongly urge you to have a thorough eye exam as soon as possible which would include a trip to your local emergency department if a physician is otherwise not available.

I want you to understand these recommendations as I have written here.

If you have any followups, I am available to address them.

Dr. Robert Galamaga