Disabled from Fibromyalgia and arthritis. On Prednisone. Have severe arthritis pain in my neck, hands and legs. Taking vitamins?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello,My name is XXXXX,I'm 63 and am 100% disabled from Fibromyalgia and arthritis. I am on Prednisone 10mg. taken when I have severe arthritis pain in my neck,hands and legs,but not everyday or even every two or three days.I also take,Hydrocodone10-325mg.,Temazepam 15mg.,Tizanidine 4mg.,Citalopram 40mg., and Pravastin 20mg. I take my Hydro only when I am really hurting and the others as prescribed. My question is; Should I be taking extra certain vitamins along with these? I have so many symptoms but I try to handle them without meds. Is that okay to do? Thank you,XXXXX
Posted Fri, 30 Aug 2013 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
It is good that you are trying to restrict your pain medicine as much as you can. This will prevent the development of tolerance to the pain medicines and you will face lesser side effects.
I would like to give some diet tips which might be helpful to get rid of this pain.
Often the elimination of certain foods such as the following will help greatly:

Dairy products, with the exception of plain yogurt with active culture
Citrus, with the exception of lemon and grapefruit
Meat including beef, pork, and lamb (other sources of protein such as chicken, fish and beans are less likely to promote inflammation)
Vegetable oils (continue using olive oil and the essential fatty acids flax seed, sesame, pumpkin, sunflower oils)

I would also like to give some advice to make the life better and to fight with these pains-

Do regular physiotherapy of joints.
Hot fomentation to decrease the joint stiffness
Hot bath of Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate)-Magnesium has both anti-inflammatory and anti- arthritic properties and it can be absorbed through the skin.
You can try gaultheria oil or oil of winter green,so many patients of mine are telling they are relieved of pain with that.

You have to apply the oil on the area that has pain.

Increasing the dietary fish intake and/or fish oil capsules (omega-3 capsules) can sometimes reduce the inflammation .

Take vegetables and fruits that are XXXXXXX in Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Calcium, Omega-3 Fatty acid, Zinc, Magensium and many more.

Hydrotherapy or Water Therapy for treatment of arthritis- Warm water is excellent source to ease and reduce joint pain, it relaxes muscles and increases motion.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Disabled from Fibromyalgia and arthritis. On Prednisone. Have severe arthritis pain in my neck, hands and legs. Taking vitamins? 13 hours later
Thank you for the helpful information. I will apply it to my situation. XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Thank you.
I am glad I could help.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL
Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.
Warm regards