Disabled due to broken ankle. Undergone reconstruction surgery. Blood pressure reading of 174/84. Suggest

Hello, I just got my bloodpressure reading of 174/84. I am only 117 lbs and don't know why it is so high. I watch my weight and exercise approx. 30 min 3-4 days a week. I got into an trip/fall accident last year so I am partially disabled due to a broken ankle that required reconstructive surgery and couldn't do anything for a long time. I started rehab/exercising in January thru XXXXXXX - slowly 1-2 days to 3-4 days depending on how I am feeling. I have been drinking some coffee for approx. 2 months. Would this raise my BP? I try to use little salt in my foods. I don't know my cholesterol but it was 192 approx. 8 months ago. Would that raise my BP? Please advise. Thank you.
Posted Sun, 7 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 1 hour later

I can feel your concerns,

Yes , coffee can raise the blood pressure along with salt intake.

Increased cholesterol levels are strongly associated with rise in blood pressure, as the fats get accumulated in the blood vessels and increase the resistance.

I recommend you to check your blood pressure regularly and limit the salt and oil intake , do exercise as your body can tolerate it.

Get your ECG (Electrocardiogram) and cholesterol levels done.

Hope I answered, If you have any other query , I would be honored to reply.

Follow-up: Disabled due to broken ankle. Undergone reconstruction surgery. Blood pressure reading of 174/84. Suggest 1 hour later
Ok. I will get my blood work and an ECG exam done soon. I believ I had a ECG done in May 2012 before my reconstructive ankle surgery. How often do you need an ECG exam? Once or twice per year or anytime you have tightness in the chest. I have no chest tightness or breathing problems. I took my BP reading again and it did come down to 137/807. What does the bottom # mean? What is the dieal reading - 120/70? BP changes daily, right depending on stress and activities? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 17 minutes later

Thanks for your follow up query.

Yes, at this age group ECG and blood tests should be done twice a year .

If you feel chest pain that its must to get your ECG done.

The bottom number shows your diastolic pressure ,that is the pressure is vessels when the heart muscles relax.

Yes the Ideal BP is 120 / 70 but it range varies with age group.

BP changes with stresses and physical activity.

Hope its clear.

If you do not have any other clarifications , you can close discussion and rate my answer.

Thanks once again.