Digestive problems, gastric problems, living at high altitude. Medication for digestion and gas?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I am for three years, living at 10,000 feet above sea level and experiencing digestive problems, especially stomach gases. Is there any recommended medicine, and/or digestive aide and/or gas cure. Please provide recommendations on foods to avoid.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 3 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query.

You have given good description but in order to help you better I request you to answer these questions.

1. What do you mean by stomach gases and digestive problems?
2. What has it done to your apetite, weight, Bowels.?

Awaiting your response.

Dr XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Digestive problems, gastric problems, living at high altitude. Medication for digestion and gas? 2 hours later
1) flatulence
2) apetite good - weight stable - bowels regular

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 14 hours later
Hi and thanks for the clarification,

Flatulence at your age is most likely to be secondary to -
1) Milk intolerance - Can be tested by looking at reducing substances in stool or stool pH. It can be overcome by avoiding all milk products except the fermented ones.
2) Constipation - may be managed with high fibre food and if needed by using laxatives.
3) Bacterial overgrowth in small intestine secondary to a motility disorder - treated by correcting the underlying cause and a course of antibiotics.

Your primary physician or gastroenterologist after careful examination will be able to rule out the individual causes.

Hope I have answered your queries. Please accept my answer if you do not have any further queries.

Dr XXXXXXX