Did renal ultrasound, had mild bilateral pelvicalyceal dilatation, evaluation to ensure stability/regression, exclude progression. Meaning?

Oncologist
Question
I had a renal ultrasound which was normal except for "mild bilateral pelvicalyceal dilatation". What does this mean and does it imply pathology?
The radiologist recommended "follow -up evaluation to ensure stability/regression and exclude progression.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 44 minutes later

Pelvicalyceal dilation means that there was a bit of dilation of the portion of your kidney which collects urine. This can sometimes happen if there is an obstruction in the ureter such as a kidney stone.

It could also be a normal anatomical variant that yours is a bit more dilated than average. This is something I would not worry about at all right now unless you are having issues with urination.

The followup is reasonable to document that this is a stable finding or that it resolves. If for some reason the dilation becomes more pronounced you might end up seeing a urologist who can assess to see if there is anything of concern.

Thanks again for the query. I hope my response has been helpful. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: Did renal ultrasound, had mild bilateral pelvicalyceal dilatation, evaluation to ensure stability/regression, exclude progression. Meaning? 27 minutes later
I do not have any urinary complaints and there were no stones seen in the study. When and what sort of followup would you suggest, assuming I remain asymptomatic?

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 10 hours later
Hello again,

I would suggest a followup ultrasound study in 3 months. If it appears the same then I would recheck it again at 1 year. No other studies are really necessary.

Thanks again for the query and followup. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Wish you good health.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga