Diarrhea, bleeding, no pain, blood test largely alright. Why did the bleeding appear?

My Mother has had bad diahorrea for between 18 months to two years. She is 86. Suddenly, two weeks ago she passed a large amount of blood and had to go to hospital. She was advised to stop taking some diahorrea tablets she had been taking for ages. Since doing so the bleeding would APPEAR to have stopped and she looks in quite good health. She is eating normally and has not lost any weight. When she was examined she said she felt no pain. However, her blood test did not come back completely OK, although it was said to be "largely alright" but nevertheless she still has to go back to the hospital on Wednesday for further checks. Why the big bleed and what could it be please?

My sister is 62 and has had a sore throat which would not go away for months now and she has been given anti-biotic after antibiotic but none of them have worked. She has had a terrible immunity since being a child.

She has now been told she may need to have a camera put down the back of her throat to see what it is. She tells me she has been coughing up "scabs".

She will be seeing a consultant soon. Any idea what it could be please?

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 29 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 18 hours later

Thanks for contacting healthcare magic for your queries.

1. Common causes of bleeding per-rectum in elderly is diverteculae in colon or angiodysplasia in right side of colon. Though there can be other causes as well. A colonoscopy should be done to decide the cause of bleed in case of your mother. Without colonoscopy unfortunately it may not be possible to decide the cause of bleed.

2. As for your sister again it may be very difficult to conclude the cause of chronic cough. This will certainly require an endoscopic examination by a ENT specialist.

Hope your mother and sister get well soon.

Dr Dinesh Singal