Diagosed ALS. Tetanus given. Muscle cramps, sore muscles, weakness, vocal cord spasms, weight loss. What tests can evaluate tetanus overdose?

Question
a family member was recently dx with ALS. However just prior to the dx he was given 3 tetanus shots over a 3 month period . It appears he is displaying all the symptoms of tetanus muscle cramps, sore muslce and weakness, diffuculty swallowing, vocal cords spasms and weight loss. What kind of test or doctor would eval for this possilbe tetanus overdose
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Tetanus toxoid if given thrice over a period of three months should not produce the symptoms of overdose so late.
From your description, an overdose of vaccine seems unlikely.
Still for the confirmation of diagnosis, you can take an opinion of your neurologist who after a thorough examination will rule out the possibilities.
There is no specific test to diagnose the overdose. Clinical examination is the mainstay of diagnosis.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Diagosed ALS. Tetanus given. Muscle cramps, sore muscles, weakness, vocal cord spasms, weight loss. What tests can evaluate tetanus overdose? 11 hours later
Thank you for your quick response. He immediately displayed the symptoms within days after the last vaccine. It just seem his symptoms are more relayed to tetanus then ALS.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 19 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If the symptoms appeared just after giving the third dose of tetanus toxoid then overdose is a likely possibility. Consulting a neurologist will be helpful for differentiating the diagnosis.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.