Diagnosed with strep throat. Have stuffy nose, mild cough and sore throat. Any ideas?

My son is 5 and he recently had strep throat (which was treated with antibiotics), shortly after that he came down with a cold, general symptoms, stuffy nose, mild sore thoat and a mild cough. For the last couple days he has been gagging. Random times, its not related to food or drinking he just gags. Any ideas what could be causing it?
Posted Sat, 20 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 9 hours later

Your son first developed strep infection on 5th and then had a bout of common cold on 15th. It is very common at this age for children to have repeated bouts of common cold which are usually viral in origin. At times they can follow one after the other at short intervals, which can be the case in your son. This can give rise to enlarged tonsils which can produce symptoms described by you.

I suggest that you get him examined by his doctor who may prescribe some decongestants, if required. In the interim you can give him steam inhalation for relief.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back if you have any further information to share.

Wishing your son a speedy recovery...