Diagnosed with stenosis of the neck. Have fainting episodes with anxiety and depression. Taking premarin

I have had near fainting episodes since last Aug. I have had fibro for many years and recently diagnosed with stenosis of the neck. My anxiety and depression have worsened. I have these episodes more so while driving. I have had to go to the ER twice and they did heart testing and an MRI of my head, and found an ischemic area around my brain, but still no answers for me. I am very weak at times and days when I can't get out of bed due to chronic fatigue. I have weakness in my arms and hands and sometimes my legs, mainly on the L side. I'm very discouraged. I have taken Premarin since I was 42 and went thru menopause, and my doctor took me off a couple months ago but my depression worsened so I went back on it. I feel like I'm just existing and in a fog most of the time.
Posted Fri, 6 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can live a better and exciting life.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

I do understand fully well how you feel. But you know what? there is hope. I think you area precious to yourself and family. Remember the main cause of illness is in the mind. I do understand certain circumstances could put someone into depression and you might feel left all alone to yourself and very bothered. Remember problems are part and parcel of life should be by the side in daily life struggles and you must not take them on your head.

The ischaemic area found in the brain could justify the use of the drug to prevent further seizure or fainting episodes. Repeated seizures will cause you to increase the likelihood of having even more frequent and uncontrollable seizures in the past. I would strongly recommend screening for hypertension, diabetes and blood cholesterol for a more comprehensive care. The use of low dose Aspirin could be helpful and you should suggest this to your doctor.

Depression could lead to severe despair, loss of appetite, inappropriate diet, nutritional deficiencies and unexplained fatigue. I suggest you believe in yourself, consider your importance to yourself and family and take off a new life. Exercise, communicating with loved ones, a more deeper communication with your treating physician and services of a psychologist could help. Do exercise like walking, eat lots of vegetables and fruits.

These should certainly help, and remember most of the cure depends entirely on the attitude you develop towards yourself and illness. I suggest you become more positive and overcome constant thought of despair, as many count on you.

Thanks and kind regards,

Bain LE, MD.
Follow-up: Diagnosed with stenosis of the neck. Have fainting episodes with anxiety and depression. Taking premarin 11 minutes later
When I feel an episode coming on it feels like the blood is draining out of my legs, I get short of breath, disoriented and I'm not all together. It's like I have a blurry tunnel vision and have mind fog most of the time. My blood pressure is usually OK (friends have taken it for me) but my heart rate is sometimes in the low 50's. Yes, I try to eat right and exercise--love to walk--but there are days the chronic fatigue keeps me in bed. Is it the Stenosis in my neck causing my weak hands and arms? The neurologist did not want to do surgery, and he did say I have a slight disk bulge.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Compression of nerves in the neck can cause sympto

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the update,

It might be necessary therefore to proper exclude that you do not have severely low blood pressure (hypotension). This could be achieved by doing a 24 hour blood pressure by a cardiologist. A clinical review by a cardiologist is therefore important in this case.

I appreciate the fact that you eat properly and do exercise, I really pray you do continue as such.

Stenosis or a nerve compression process could actually lead to neck and hand symptoms. The nerves that supply the arms actually originate from a bulk of nerves in the neck called the brachial plexus. Treatment deserves a proper diagnosis. It could be medical or surgical depending on the case.

I suggest a concerted action between a neurologist and a neurologist. A repeat MRI scan, X rays coupled with a clinical review could help these specialists. Treatment depends on a proper diagnosis, intensity of symptoms and degree, type and or possible cause of stenosis. Thanks and kind regards,

Bain LE, MD.