Diagnosed with shingles. How to overcome this problem?

My boyfriend was diagnosed with shingles a couple years ago. He is a 31 yr old male. He is determined that the reason his outbreaks are so frequent is a result of us having sex. We have been together for 7 years and he believes that the shingles virus is dormant in my system and thats why I never have symptoms but he feels that is why when we have sex the next day or a couple days following he has a shingles outbreak? Is there any truth to his assumption? If so how can this be fixed?
Posted Sun, 10 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 4 hours later
Hi, XXXXXXX welcome and thanks for writing in.
It is not possible that dormant virus in your system is causing disease in your boyfriend.
The virus is in your boyfriend's body only. It is not completely eradicate from previous infection.
It is believed that it even can arise from temporary diminished immune function related to stress over work, family matters, late nights, or an alcohol binge. So your friend need complete treatment and not you.
You both need to consult your physician for proper clinical examination. Treatment in from of acyclovir is needed. However dose schedule is depending on severity and opinion of your physician only.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern, please let me know.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with shingles. How to overcome this problem? 38 minutes later
So that fact that he thinks the outbreak is due to the result of us having sex and something to do with my body reacting with his due to the weakend immune system due to shingles... is not possbile?
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 6 hours later
Hi, welcome back.
To be dormant in your body, disease has to appear sometimes. So thinking of your boyfriend is doesn't look possible. There is possibility of sex related late nights or any stressful condition which is acting as trigger for shingle in his body.
He needs treatment and good counselling.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with shingles. How to overcome this problem? 9 hours later
Thank you for your assistance it is greatly appreciated. I have seen things online about foods to avoid that can trigger shingles outbreaks such as wheat, white rice, chocolate, peanuts etc. Is all this myth or true? Are their certain food you should try to avoid?
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 1 hour later
Hi, welcome back.
Frankly speaking there is no such literature in allopathic medicines I have read. If it is of Ayurvedic based authentic advise then you can try for few days. It will not cause any harm .

Hope for the best.
Thanking you.