Diagnosed with seasonal allergies. Suffer loss of memory, chest congestion, red eyes and coughing. What to do?

Hello I was diagnosed with seasonal allergies, and since I recently moved to WA state 4 months ago I have been having horrible symptoms, below are my systems:
1. Lost of memory
2. Chest Congestion
3. Red eyes
4. blurry vision /unable to concentrate
5. lost of voice for 1 week (this happened 1 month ago, voice was regained 1 week later)
6. Coughing
7. Small lump of right side of neck (maybe from excessive coughing)
Please help, I really think something else is wrong with me. As soon as I go to the doctor and tell them I have seasonal allergies, they just say to me that all my symptoms are courses of seasonal allergies.
So, if its seasonal allergies, why did my new boyfriend get extremely sick after kissing me. Very weird, his symptoms are similar but he also got high fever, high blood pressure and headaches.
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 1 hour later
Hello XXXXX,

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

I have gone through your query in detail and you will have to bear with me if i say that i tend to agree with your doctors that it is allergy that is causing the symptoms.

Loss of voice also could be because of allergy as the inflammation in allergy may cause swelling of the vocal cord and as swelling subsides, the voice comes back.

However, loss of memory may not be related to allergy and if it is becoming troublesome, i suggest you consult a Neurologist.

It is highly unlikely that your boyfriend got sick after kissing you because every disease has an incubation period and no disease becomes manifest in such a short period. Besides, allergy is not a infectious disease.

The lump on rt side of neck could be because of excessive coughing as you said. It could be because of a vein popping up or leakage of some air in the subcutaneous tissue which happens with excessive coughing. But it could be a lymph node also which needs to be looked into if still persisting.

You need to take anti allery treatment like monteleukast, if required inhalers and/or a short course of oral steroids. You should consult a pulmonologist for your problems and follow his advice. He will also have a look at the swelling on rt side of neck.