Diagnosed with scleroderma. Have fatigue. What can be done?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have been diagnosed with scleroderma, the kind that is playing havoc with my XXXXXXX organs. I came here looking for others that have the same disease for support and there are none here. I am confused and scared and am in the process of trying to get my disability retirement because the fatigue and not eating right has taken a toll on me not to mention that I have a quadrapalegic for a husband, I was inititlly diagnosed last March and did not go to a Rhuematologist until this past December because I am the bread winner in my home and I could not afford to miss work, but I just cant go anymore.
Posted Fri, 26 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 58 minutes later
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX
Scleroderma is a rare condition propably of autoimmune in origin.
Strictly speaking, scleroderma denotes disease limited to the skin and subcutaneous tissues is localized scleroderma, or morphea and disease involving the XXXXXXX organs is termed as "systemic sclerosis" .
Scleroderma causes skin and at times XXXXXXX organs to become hard and tight.
There is no cure for scleroderma. Medications can treat symptoms and prevent complications.
Making changes to your lifestyle and diet can make living with the disease easier.
These simple steps may help improve quality of life:
• Eat small, frequent meals to reduce heartburn or gas.
• Exercise to help keep skin and joints flexible.
• Don't smoke, because nicotinemakes scleroderma worse.
• Avoid exposure to cold and stress, which can affect circulation.
• Use soothing skin creams to reduce pain, swelling, and stiffness

Hope I have answered your question. Happy to help if you need any more clarifications. Good day