Diagnosed with schizo-effective. Having anxiety disorder with frequent mood swings. Treatment?

Jun 2013
Hello Dr Sompur,

My names XXXX. I am diagnosed Scizo-Effective, or at least I was, now I simply have an Anxiety Disorder.
Whilst I understand all these things, I am always troubled by one thing. It's something that I rarely mention to Doctors as I feel foolish, but with you being online, I feel more confident in discussing it, I cannot see you, and therefore I feel safer.

Ever since I was a child, I have had something if a fixation on a star constellation called 'The Pleiades' (if you know Astronomy it is situated just off Orion's Belt and in Greek Mythology it was and is known as The 7 Sisters)

Around the age of Sixteen, I began involuntarily calling it 'Home' and over the last two or so years I have had visions and dreams regarding it.

I know that I am not an Extra Terrestrial or, Extra Dimensional being, at least, I don't think so. Yet, I am victim to convincing arguments in my mind that I am from a star in this cluster, that I am not human nor that I ever was.

I have never heard of a mental disorder that can help me understand why I have these thoughts, rather, I have found entire communities of people that believe that they are from the Pleiades.

I have spent so long looking for answers that say that I am, that now I am in a more mentally stable state of mind where I want to look into the mental aspect of such thoughts and visions, as you are a Psychiatrist, I would come and ask you.

Thank you in advance,

Posted Mon, 9 Sep 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Sushil Kumar Sompur 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need some more information

Detailed Answer:
Well hello XXXXXXX ~

I am trying to understand your concerns, however I would need more information. For all that you may not have a mental disorder if you have been having good functionality, i.e. going about your daily life with no problems.

Let me start with asking you your age and for how long have you had these thoughts. What kinds of treatments have you had in the past, please describe.

Thank you and look forward to your reply. Take care of your self and have a lovely day!

Sushil Kumar Sompur V.
Follow-up: Diagnosed with schizo-effective. Having anxiety disorder with frequent mood swings. Treatment? 6 hours later

Thank you for your reply.

Aside of anxiety issues, i am able to perform tasks in daily life absolutely fine. I do get tired easily, and i have frequent mood swings (I am no stranger to being perfectly happy one moment, and then sad and annoyed in the next)
I do have various bouts of OCD, but nothing too dramatic (I will flickma light switch three times, not for any valuable reason, just that it 'bothers me' if I do not do this, yet I don't ever find myself scrubbing my hands until they are red, neither do I have any specific pattern or routine that I simply must follow)

I am Thirty Two years of age, and in the past I have been treated for mental illness.
In 2000, I had a breakdown and was diagnosed and treated for symptoms of Scizophrenia, after trial and error with other medications including Olanzapine, I was medicated by Clozapine. I took Clozapine at 250mg for seven years, andnthen was weaned off by Doctors in mid 2007.
In 2009 I broke down again, this time with Symptoms displaying more as Depression, for this I was put on Depacote as my primeary medication, I was using Depacote for two years. In 2011 I began suffering from Anxiety initially due to stress. (In the past, I had, had some problems with 'Binge Drinking' alcohol, which may have lead to my anxiety problem)

The alien thoughts.
These all started as a child, though I did not recognise them as this at that time. I knew that I was different, it's hard to explain, it was so ething inside me like a nagging thought which would say 'you're not like these people, you are different'. On top of that, was this star cluster. No matter where it was innthe sky, I would always see it, in most cases instantly (which is hard as it's not the biggest or brightest cluster in the sky. These stars are only visible in the Autum and winter months here in the UK.) When I see them, as always, I have felt a comforting sensation, like being able to see home after walking a great distance.
So i guess that this fixation has been since my infant years.

I simply don't understand it. I know that I am not crazy, I live at home woth my Fiance and Step Daughter, I work as a Freelance Artist and Designer, I am an on stage Performer (Actor / Singer / Writer) Imhave a healthy social life and a great amount of friends. I am capable of pretty much anything... In short, I a, basically your average thirty two year old male.

On a final note: I'm not sure if it is relevant, but O have a vast amount of experience regarding 'The Paranormal'. It would appear that I am followed what I can only really describe as 'Ghosts' or at least Spirits. It was generally thought of by Doctors as symptoms that would display themselves as entities that only I could see and hear, and thusly was referred to as both Audio and Visual Hallucinations, however, all this changed when I moved into my present home with my Fiance XXXXXXX who already lived in this house. She explains that the house we live in (and the close we live on) is a new build. No one lived here before us, yet, since I moved in, we have become whitness to what are commonly known as 'Bumps in the night'. On top of this, we also see doors open and close of their own vilition, and footsteps are heard to run up and down stairs and across the landing. We have caught lights flashing across a camera (otherwise called Orbs) and filmed reflections of white mists shaped simular to people that flash passed mirrors) There was a time that only I saw and heard these things, but now XXXXXXX does also. I am unsure as to weather this has anything to do with anything, but I felt that mentioning it could be important, if not, it is just entertaining :)
Answered by Dr. Sushil Kumar Sompur 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Attenuated psychosis sysdrome

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate the additional information. First off I am glad that you are having a good functional life after a long time of being on and off of medications and receiving various diagnoses. I believe that you may be having attenuated psychosis syndrome. This would become even more relevant if you are having disturbed but not abnormal functioning due to the paranormal activities, and are however able to function in your daily life. I have added links for your reference.

The way I can explain your fiancée's condition is that the two of you are have what might be developing into shared psychosis. I believe that you did not have OCD and would not attribute your beliefs about thinking and feeling that you are from a different star constellation and that you are not human. You probably did not grow out of the childhood ideas of being from a different star. For your reference the link below educate you more about imaginary friends that children commonly have.

Since your fiancée needs to accept the way you are and since you are functioning fine in this world there may have come a need where shared psychosis would bring you closer together and your fiancée, therefore, has started to believe in your belief system vis-a-vis the paranormal behavior and activity.

I hope you continue your search for answers and not stop taking your medications however. I also believe that you will do well with continued association with people similar to your thought process regarding being from the constellation Pleiades.

I hope this clarified your situation. Acceptance is important in your situation and I hope you gradually work towards it. Take care of your self and have a lovely day!

Follow-up: Diagnosed with schizo-effective. Having anxiety disorder with frequent mood swings. Treatment? 3 minutes later
Of all things Doctors have said, you have by far answered in the best and most helpful way. Thank you so much :)
Answered by Dr. Sushil Kumar Sompur 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
My pleasure!

Detailed Answer:
Thank you.