Diagnosed with parkinsons. Suffering from depression, anxiety and memory loss. Concerned

I was diagnosed with parkinsons in 2000. At the time the original diagnosis was MSA. My symptoms were tremor on both sides, stuttering, inserting words where they didn't be long, balance problems ( I walked with a rolator for over a year) sleep problems, etc. I had many MRI's and nothing showed up. These symptoms presented about one month after a bad fall at my job. I was prescribed Sinemet in 2000 and have taken it since. My symptoms now are stuttering, balance issues, mainly side steps etc. severe sleep problems, depression, anxiety and just recently memory loss. Last week I got lost twice on the way to my grandsons school which I been to many times, I forget to pay bills and it is taking me along time to balance my check. Also fatique. I have felt from the beginning they weren't sure of the diagnosis. With the recent new symptoms I am concerned. Is there something different that comes to mind with these symptoms. Thank you so much for your help.
Posted Fri, 10 Aug 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 4 hours later

Your symptoms are in concurrence with diagnosis of multi-system atrophy (MSA). Unfortunately it does not respond well to drugs like sinemet as with classical Parkinson's disease. Sinemet 10/100 as one tablet is quite less dose and can be increased by your doctor and be observed.

For other symptoms like severe sleep problems, depression, anxiety and just recently memory loss you need to be treated symptomatically by your neurologist/psychiatrist. Sometimes it may be related to drugs you are taking. Your treating physician will consider it while evaluation.

Please do write back for further discussion on this.