Diagnosed with pancolitis with inflammatory oedema and micro-ulcerated. Should I be concerned?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Hi there,
I'm 40 years old, male Canadian engineer, currently based in France since a year. Before that, I have spent 4 years in Asia, parting time between India and China (travelled both countries intensively, including semi-rural areas. eg: in India : Muzzafarnagar, Vijayawada, Bhopal, Calicut, Kolkota, Nellore). Travelled to Brazil as well.
I have just been diagnosed with this : (translated from French at my best)
-Pancolitis with inflammatory oedema and micro-ulcerated, but mainly a pseudo-tumoral aspect of Bauhin valvula extremely inflammatory (vegetant (in French)) hemorragic. Biopsies under analysis.
In //, I am told it is most likely caused from a bacteria.
I have sporadically experienced the whole bag of symptoms despite a busy schedule since approx 3.5 yrs. Been quite tired...
Does it ring a bell ? any advices ? Is it a common affection ? I'm wondering if anyone could help pinpoint a specific bacteria (in case this is a frequent condition), so I can treat it better.
Please note that I am now followed-up by a gastro-enterologist. I am quite interested in the bacteria aspect vs my travels in foreign countries
Thousand thanks, warm regards
Posted Mon, 26 Nov 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 14 hours later
Hi and thanks for contacting Healthcaremagic
I am unable to completly understand your problem. Hence kindly explain me the symptoms and if possible find a good english translateion of XXXXXXX -Pancolitis with inflammatory oedema and micro-ulcerated, but mainly a pseudo-tumoral aspect of Bauhin valvula extremely inflammatory XXXXXXX
Dr XXXXXXX KS

Follow-up: Diagnosed with pancolitis with inflammatory oedema and micro-ulcerated. Should I be concerned? 35 minutes later
-Pancolitis
-Inflammatory oedema of the colon
-presence of micro-ulcers
-extremely inflammated Bauhin valvula, tumor-like aspect

My symptoms fits the ones described here (for 4 years now)
WWW.WWWW.WW
only 2 deviations for me :
1)no significant weight loss (still 100kg)
2)I've got day sweats and night sweat

I'm told it is a bacterial infection, I want to know if there is a known bacteria that causes, maybe more specifically in Asia.
XXXXXXX

Hi and thanks for the reply
Pancolitis perse means inflammation seen in the entire length of the colon and as yur are already aware it may be because of infectious and non infectious cause. However a duration of 4 years makes it more likely to be non infectious like inflammatory bowel disease. Of the infectious causes only tuberculosis can last such long and is usually is associated with other symptoms like vomiting, episodes resembling intestinal obstruction
However I still donot get XXXXXXX extremely inflammated Bauhin valvula, tumor-like aspect"
Hence one needs to look at the biopsy and have a good physical examination of you so that the most appropriate tests are choosen. Hence contact a GI specialist for further help.
Dr XXXXXXX