Diagnosed with many gallstones. Have stomach discomfort but no pain. Is surgery best option?

I have been diagnosed (via ultra-sound) of having many gallstones. Is surgery the only or best option? I have not had any of the stabbing pains (or much pain at all) or nausea and almost no reaction to fatty meals(the biggest reaction I have had to ingesting something is when I drank 1/8 cup of XXXXXXX cider vinegar), but do have a lot of discomfort especially when laying or sitting in the wrong position (no discomfort while standing).

I first went to the doctor in Feb with the tell tale pain under the right rib cage also with some stomach discomfort and some slight discomfort under my right shoulder blade; they indicated a elevated white blood count and subscribed antibiotics. Everything seemed to clear up then I had the same symptoms in Aug. - antibiotics were subscribed and I requested an ultrasound which indicated "multiple gallstones" but no duct blockage. Just want to make sure before I have the organ removed (as recommended by my Dr. - he indicated that ursodeoxycholic acid treatment never works) that it is the best thing to do.
Thank you
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Surgery is the best option.

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you.

Your doctor is right.
Surgery is the only definitive treatment for gallstones
UDCA and lithotripsy are not effective treatment for gallstones.

Having said that, I would also like to add that gallbladder is removed only if the stones are causing symptoms. If the stones remain silent, I usually do not advice surgery. By symptoms I mean severe pain in the right upper quadrant which may radiate to the shoulder blades or the right shoulder. Ultrasound scan may show thickened gallbladder wall and fluid collection around the gallbladder.

And about the surgery, the gallbladder can be removed laparoscopically.

Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini