Diagnosed with lupus. Experiencing severe pain in arm, elbow and fingers. Blood work done. Suggestion

I have been having severe deep pains in my arms,elbows down to my fingers and also deep pain in my upper thighs to the top of my feet, it's now mostly on my left side with muscle weakness on the left. I previously was diagnosed with lupus thru an XXXXXXX test and symptoms close to 12 yrs ago, then I've had other Drs tell me I don't have it. I've been sick for over a week now with these symptoms, blood work showed only slight elevation of inflammation now I will be going for an MRI tomorrow to be checked for MS. I just wish someone could tell me what is possibly going on with me than to write me off and give me pain killers
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 22 minutes later

Thanks for the query

I understand your concern

I have noted your medical problem

Based upon the symptoms, I feel that the possibilities in your case could be 1. Spinal cord problem 2. Muscle disease
Please note that the above possibilities are based upon the history only and clinical examination will differentiate between the two and may reveal something new also. I think a MRI of the cervical spine and Brain should be obtained. If THE MRI is normal and the clinical examination favors the possibility of muscle disease, you need to have a nerve/muscle test called as ENMG test. This test is done in Neuro-electrophysiology lab and very simple where the medical people will try to understand if you have any of these. I do not think that these complaints are suggestive of MS.MS will have other symptoms like visual complaints, imbalance, repeated attacks of the paralysis of hands/legs etc. MRI will help rule out MS in your case. Treatment depends upon the cause identified. However while waiting for consultation, you may take simple analgesics like paracetamol, ibuprofen etc.

Hope this clarifies

Please get back to me in case you have any other concern
Best wishes
Follow-up: Diagnosed with lupus. Experiencing severe pain in arm, elbow and fingers. Blood work done. Suggestion 17 minutes later
A little more about my history is that I have had this joint pains for so long now over 15+yrs. Ive had 4 miscarriages in the past which my obgyn referred me to a rheumotologist. I only have 1 child 10yrs old. This dr said I had lupus which he treated me and I felt great. Since then I've relocated elsewhere, I've gone to other Drs when ive felt the pains in my joints and knots in my arms who have told me,I'm borderline lupus,another saying there is no such thing either you have it or you dont. What symptoms are true lupus symptoms? And can it have a positive blood work, then later be negative? Since my last rheumotologist, I've had a few positive XXXXXXX tests. Then I've also had negative test since then.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 39 hours later

Thanks for the feed back

Lupus- a multi-system disease which can affect almost any organ of the body. It can present with joint pain, swelling, skin rash, kidney problem, lungs problem and neurological problem. The best test to do for LUPUS is anti DsDNA antibody. You consult a local rhumatologist

Best wishes