Diagnosed with lump in rectum and took xeloda. Is it the correct treatment? Any serious problem?

Hello Sir/Madam,

My Brother is diagnosed with lump in rectum 2 months back in May.
After that he was given radiation and taken Xeloda tbs for 6 weeks.
Now after the scanning for second time (CT and MRI) they say that the size of the lump is not decreased and it has spread.
Sir I have a few Questions.
1. Wheather the treatment which is been given is correct?
2.How complex is the situation and when should we go for surgery.
3.After surgery they said a tube has to be attached put for excretion-is that the way it is?.
4.Should I continue the treatment in bangalore or shift him to TATA Bombay.

Sir please reply my query.

Thanking you,
-Reports attached to this mail.
Posted Sat, 7 Sep 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Rectal cancer not responding to treatment.

Detailed Answer:
I am sory to note that your brother has not responded to treatment.
I personally feel if the disease was confined to rectum only the surgery should have been the first choice and radiation as an adjuant after radiation. If the disease was advanced then the radiation is tried first to shrink the tumor to make it resectable. Xeloda, the drug which he has taken is used when disease has become metastatic. your doctor must be knowing better, and must have treated your brother as per the status of the disease.
If surgery is possible, and there is no distant spread it should be given immediate thought as the tumor will grow and fungate. More so it may be necessary for a palliative measure.
It seems that putting a colostomy bag will be essential as there must not be a possibility of the anastomosis as assessed by your doctors.
Bangloru has good cancer centres particularly Kidwai Memorial Institute of Oncology where can needful can be done. There will be no added advantage in shifting to Mumbai.
I hope I have addressed your queries and will advise you to act faster.
Dr. J. Ticku