Diagnosed with low haemoglobin and high UTI. Feeling chills and chest discomfort. What is causing this?

I am 37/F, height 5.3 XXXXXX,weight 64 kg. I have diagnosed with law hemoglobin it was 9 .and also high UTI so hositalised for 2 days and after discharge i have to continue to take after lunch one tablet of Ferrium XP for next 3 months. After a week i have got burning sensation in palms and soles so dr has advised to take some vitamin tablets for a week basically it was happening due to deficiency of vitamin B 12 and after a week I was alright. But after that again I have got problem of shivering and chills and sometimes chest discomfort also .And that problem occurs very frequent sometimes and sometimes once in two days of time .From yesterday night again this problem occurred and I have got shivering and chest discomfort and heaviness on head and spent sleepless night.

I wanted to know is this problems are related to Law hemoglobin or side effects of tablet which I am taking i.e. Ferrium XP or some other problem.

Please advise

Posted Tue, 16 Oct 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 2 hours later
Welcome to HCM!
Thanks for posting your query. I am happy to address your questions. Low hemoglobin can be associated with symptoms of fatigue, weakness, fainting, breathlessness, heart palpitations (rapid or irregular beating) including rapid heartbeat, dizziness, headache, ringing in the ears, difficulty sleeping and concentrating. Intake of ferium, the side effects are constipation, diarrhea, stomach cramps, or upset stomach or an allergic reaction if not suited. Both these do not seem to be the cause of your current symptoms. As you have had a history of UTI (hospitalized) and there could be that symptoms may disappear soon after beginning antibiotic treatment. However, with UTI, the infection may still be present and can recur (which could present with fever, chills, headache). An additional urine test can be done after about a week of completing treatment to be sure that the infection is cured (will request to do if not done). Else, will need to be examined by your clinician to rule out any infectious cause. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you. Thanks