Diagnosed with low ferriten levels or iron deficiency. Is it safe to travel?

If I recently was diagnosed with low ferriten levels, or iron deficiency, is it safe for me to fly? I haven't started taking iron supplements yet because I wanted to wait until after my trip in case I had any adverse side effects.
Posted Sun, 14 Oct 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 32 minutes later

Thanks for posting a query here.

You have been diagnosed Iron deficiency anemia. As anemia is classified as mild, moderate and severe based on hemoglobin levels, I would like to know what your current Hemoglobin level is.

Iron supplements are usually well tolerated but can cause mild stomach upset, nausea or constipation.
The supplements can wait if the trip is of short duration and anemia is not severe.

Presuming it is mild anemia you may air travel. It should not be a problem.

Hope this suffices for now. Please get back with your hemoglobin levels and I will be available for more comments.