Diagnosed with left peripheral vestibulopathy. Receiving treatment. Suggestions?

hi there, I was just diagnosed with left peripheral vestibulopathy. I wqs diagnosed with ms about 25 years ago and have been receiving treatment all this time. Recently one of my doctors decided that I probably don't have ms (I never do present as other ms patients do) I did have several white lesions, on my brain this last mri and have occasionally had in the past, however the majority of the time ive had no lesions- but my mris have not been done with any regularity. now since im reading about this new diagnosis, and reading what others who have the disease are writing about their experiences, im just tucked in like a pea in a pod:). im also wondering if its possible that ive had this all along (with a few other problems) and really don't have ms. ive recently seen an ms specialist at UTSW (Dallas tx) and we talked for a couple of hours and she took alot of notes after reading everything I had sent in. what are your thoughts about this?
thank you XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rene Gerard Cruz Galera Jr 4 hours later
Hi XXXXX! Thank you for your query and welcome to our site.

I can only imagine how frustrated you are right now especially with the new diagnosis of peripheral vestibulopathy.

As you may already know, patients with peripheral vestibulopathy experience sudden severe vertigo, nausea, and vomiting, without any hearing disturbance or facial weakness. These symptoms usually resolve within a week, but there is a high chance of recurrence or even a change in the symptomatology - from vertigo to disequilibrium.

Your profile does seem compatible with MS - the mean age of diagnosis is around 20-40 years and females are more affected compared to males. Also, MS symptoms are highly variable - the signs and symptoms are largely dependent on the location and distribution of the affected nerve fibers. However, since I do not know your complete medical history and I am not privy to the results of your medical exams and diagnostic tests, this makes it difficult for me to comment on your MS.

Based on my readings, I have seen that current studies have demonstrated a high incidence of peripheral vestibulopathy among patients with MS. In Brazil, almost 60% of MS patients were diagnosed with vestibulopathies too. Some say that vestibular disorders are a sign of early manifestations of the progression of MS. But again, take heed that we still do not know much about MS and more studies are needed to support and confirm these findings.

There are a number of available therapies for peripheral vestibulopathy including some exercises, medications and even surgical procedures. I suggest that you talk to your physician on what the best possible treatment options are available and applicable to you. In the meantime, I would suggest that you continue with your prescribed therapies and tell your concerns to your physicians. I am sure they are more than welcome to hear your thoughts and feelings.

Remember, just like any chronic disease, MS can severely affect your life. But it does not and should not define who you are.

I hope I was able to address your concerns. If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Take care!

Dr. Galera