Diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Tested for TSH. Suggest some suitable diet plan

Question
I have been diagnosed with hypothroidism.Have tested for TSH and its 8. T3 and T4 levels are fine. Also have checked sugar and cholesterol which is all fine.Please suggest a suitable diet and anything that would help me in getting the levels normal.
Posted Mon, 20 Aug 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in. TSH of 8 would be considered as mild form of hypothyroidism called subclinical hypothyroidism. In subclinical hypothyroidism you have to get one more test known as TPO antibody which will help us to decide on the likelehood of progression of hypothyroidism.
As far as diet in concerned there is nothing specific that can help you to get down the TSH. Cauliflower, cabbage, radish, XXXXXXX kohlrabi and soyabean shoud not be consumed in bulk quantities. Use iodised salt. Apart from this thyroid doesnot depend on any external things.

Thanks,
Shivaprasad

Follow-up: Diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Tested for TSH. Suggest some suitable diet plan 3 minutes later
Thank you for your response. Also could you please advise if it would be ok for me to plan for a baby in the next three months. Is there anything that I would need to ensure. I have a baby girl who is 2.5 yrs old.

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 47 hours later
Sorry for the late response. i think i replied yesterday but it didnt get uploaded due to power failure all across the nation. Anyway, TSH during first trimester of pregnancy has to be less than 2.5. So better wait till TSh has fallen to that level. It could take 2-4 mon for the same. During pregnancy TSh has to be monitored once in 6-8 weeks. Dosage of thyroxine may need to be increased during pregnancy because normally thyroid hormone requirements are 30-50% higher during pregnancy.
Thanks
Shivaprasad