Diagnosed with hypertension. How long should I continue medicine? Can I start running?

I have been recently diagnosed with hypertension. On 5th of October as part of the health check up it was Diagnosed to be 190/130 RUL and 170/112 LUL. I was put on medication T.Coversyl 4mg (morning) T.Natrilix SR (afternoon) and T.Selonken (50mg).

The BP came down dramatically 110/70mm Hg and Coversyl and Selonken dosage was halved. Natrilix SR was stopped and replaced by T. Hydride 12.5 mg.

Since 5th October, I am on very low sodium and 2 spoon olive oil diet. My weight is 77.5 Kgs and height 175cms. I don't drink and smoke 1 stick per day.

I have been advised to stop all exercise and I would like to know if I can start running? Will I be on medication all my life? How do I make sure that I am having enough salt in my diet? 3D Echo report of the heart is available.
Blood work, LIPID Profile, Liver Function, Kidney Profile, Glucose, Thyroid, PSA, Urine, TMT and Lung Function Test Reports are attached.
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
I am qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your mail and reviewed with diligence. I did not find lipid profile report, but going by medicines written by your doctor these must be normal. You have a few risk factors of heart disease but there is no reason that with diet, drugs and exercise you will overcome these and shall never develop coronary artery disease. You are being seen by a competent cardiologist and I fully endorse advice about diet and drugs. Two obvious omissions are, SMOKING HAS TO BE STOPPED even one cigarette can cause harm, apart from minor difference of opinion about echo report you have left ventricular hypertrophy. And I reviewed your treadmill test report and basal EKG, it has been correctly reported then why you had been stopped all exercises. Please mention in your followup whether it is Dr XXXXXXX who is DM cardiologist and reports carry his signature has asked this? Please ask him again. In response your next mail I will write about quantum of exercise and things about Yogic exercise you ought to be doing. Do write about your job, how you take stress? Has anybody in your family had been diagnosed with coronary artery disease apart from lipid profile. You are little overweight can do with weight below 70 Kg (to be achieved in next 2 years for the sake of next 50 years. Good Luck.
Looking forward to hear from you.
With best wishes.
Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW