Diagnosed with hives. Using fluticasone propionate cream. How to get rid of it?

Dermatologist
Question
I am 53 yrs old and I was diagnosed with rare form of hives about 8 yrs ago. They look as if I have measles or a bad case of acne. Initially appeared on my face and now they have moved to other parts of my body (ie. neck, shoulders, arms, legs). They first begin under the skins and surface as a clear bump that itches. When I touch a spot it bursts, oozes a clear liquid and then eventually bleeds. The doctor says he doesn't know what causes them and isn't interested in investigating and says we may never know. He told me to take daily double doses of an OTC antihistime for the itch and to dab fluticasone propionate cream on each bump as they appear to reduce swelling. I can't wear any makeups because I itch so badly and the bleeding. I have become embarrassed to be seen in public. I took a less paying job just to be hidden from customers and others. I would really like to know what this is and how to get rid of it. BTW I also have light-moderate Rosacia. Can you help?
Posted Wed, 5 Dec 2012 in Skin Rash

Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 2 hours later
Thanks for the question.
I would be pleased to answer your query.

From. Your history and description it sounds like a dermatitis herpetiformis.it presents like what you have mentioned. I would suggest a skin biopsy from the site.
Intake of dapsone helps in this condition . You will get it as a prescription from the physician.

Thanks and take care

Follow-up: Diagnosed with hives. Using fluticasone propionate cream. How to get rid of it? 13 hours later
A biopsy was already done by my doctor and that is where he determined the bumps were a rare form of hive. Also, when looking at online photos of 'dermatitis herpetiformis' they look nothing like what I have. Can I send you a photo of my face?

Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 8 hours later
Thanks for the information .

Could you send me the photo of the face area at your convenience?

Follow-up: Diagnosed with hives. Using fluticasone propionate cream. How to get rid of it? 21 hours later
how do i send the photo to you?

You can take a photo on WWW.WWWW.WW and send me the link .
Or
You can send the photo to the healthcare magic site email and they would upload it for you on the site and send it to me .

Thanks

Follow-up: Diagnosed with hives. Using fluticasone propionate cream. How to get rid of it? 3 days later
Ok, I have sent 2 photos via the site email... please let me know if you do NOT receive them. Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 1 hour later
Thanks for sending the Clear Images .
On the Visual Examination of the lesions you have it definitely looks like Urticarial Vasculitis .
This condition on the face results in the marks on the skin and has history of evolution just like what you have described .
It does cause itching and bleeds when touched .
I would suggest that you need a Short Course of Corticosteroids for this condition . You would be able to get the dose by Prescription from your Dermatologist or Family Physician .
I would advise immediate treatment for it. Without the Corticosteroid course it will not improve.
You might also need to continue the double dose of OTC anti histamine as well as apply a steroid - antibiotic combination on the lesions .

Please do reply in case you have any further questions . I would be pleased to answer them .
Thanks and Take care

Follow-up: Diagnosed with hives. Using fluticasone propionate cream. How to get rid of it? 5 days later
Thank you Dr. Pravin!

My GP has placed me on a short course of Predisone and Doxycycline with double-doses of Cetirizine. No Corticosteroids at this time. I am on my 4th day so not sure if this is working. But I have nothing to loose except ugly spots (LOL).

I just received the results of XXXXXXX Testing/Bloodwork and it revealed 'positive' for Lupus. Now, does that mean I have Lupus and need to follow that track or do I need further testing/bloodwork to eliminate other autoimmune disorders?

Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 7 hours later
Thanks for the information provided.

Since your XXXXXXX testing reveals lupus it should be confirmed with a ds DNA testing for lupus and search for other auto immune conditions should surely be done .
Do continue with the above lines of treatments.
BOOK an appointment with a Rheumatologist.
Thanks and take care .