Diagnosed with high leucocytes, low neutrocytes and increased Uric acid. Are they related?

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I have just been diagnosed with high leucocytes and low neutrocytes (neutrophils I think in the USA) and have been asked to undergo a vast array of tests which sounds quite scary. They also found quite a high reading for Uric Acid and I wondered if they could be connected or they are totally seperate?
Posted Sun, 10 Jun 2012 in Blood Disorders

Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing in.

It seems you are suffering from one of the blood dyscrasias. Hyperuricemia (increased uric acid) can occur in cases of any increased cell turn-over, in your case, it is blood dyscrasias.
A complete blood examination along with doctor might even order for CT scan of abdomen or pelvis based on your blood investigations.
In this scenario, I would suggest you to follow up regularly with your doctor and his advice.

Get well soon,
Regards.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with high leucocytes, low neutrocytes and increased Uric acid. Are they related? 17 minutes later
Thankyou Doctor

My real concern (especially given I have been very healthy and fit my entire life so far) is that the indicators seem to suggest something potentially quite serious. If I can ask one more question Sir is it also possible that it could be caused by some easily treatable illness and may not be indicative of something of real concern

many thanks again

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing in.

Correlating your current blood report with age of 58, leukemia or a leukemoid reaction is a possibility. However, this would need to be confirmed by investigations. There are many types of leukemia whose prognosis depends on many factors.

Even though you were very healthy & fit during your entire life, repeated attacks of goiter during this 6 yrs indicates that you might be suffering from some auto-immune disease already.

At present we have lot of newer therapeutic drugs and regimens which have the potential to control or even cure the disease. Without your complete blood investigation along with doctor regularly.

Get well soon,
Regards.