Diagnosed with herpes simplex and chlamydia. Do I have other viruses? What can I do about HSV?

Dermatologist
Question
i have recently been diagnose with Herpes Simplex Type II lgG. The reading is 1.15. the indication is (negative will be below 0.9, equivocal 0.91-0.99, positive 1 and above)

While my other STD reading like Herpes Simplex Type I lgG is 0.62 (negative will be below 0.9, equivocal 0.91-0.99, positive 1 and above),

and

Chlamydia lgG is 0.82 (negative below 0.9, borderline 0.9-1.1, positive is anything about 1.1)

As we can see from the result. I am -ve for both HSV 1 and Chlamydia. and is +ve for HSV 2, which is the genital herpes.

My question is:

1) for those 2 that shows i am -ve but does it mean that i do have a certain amount of virus in my body? why is there a number shown?

2) for HSV 2, is there anything i can do about it? what would be the seriousness of the number displayed? i have not have any outbreak or whatsoever at the moment. I planning to have a child soon, is there any possible way will my child be contractor? Please advise me doctor. I am worried. What would be the recommended vitamins or mineral should i take, or is there any remedies that can help me? please advise

thanks
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 8 hours later
Hello.

You seem to have only Herpes Type 2 which is sexually transmitted disease.

As you don't suffer from Herpes Simplex type 1 or Chlymidia the reports are negative. These are caused by different organisms.

You can have a child and it is not usually transmitted to the child. There is no prophylactic or preventive measures.

You have to avoid sex or use condom when u have active infection to avoid spreading it to your partner.

You can consider antiviral treatment with drugs like Famciclovir under your physician's guidance for speedy recovery. There is no vitamin or mineral which will help.

The infection may last for few years before it resolves.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with herpes simplex and chlamydia. Do I have other viruses? What can I do about HSV? 1 hour later
Hi Dr,

Thank you for your response.

Have you heard of false positive? range between 1.1 to 3.5
WWW.WWWW.WW
my current number is 1.15, which is really a low +ve. Should i really take the antiviral?

Are saying by taking the antiviral treatment it will cure within few years?

What i meant what type of supplement i can take to suppress the virus? eg. vit c, bcomplex n etc..

pls advise
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 10 hours later
Hello again XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing back to me.

False positivity can be considered only if you don't have genital ulcers.

The indication for anti viral is also if you have genital ulcer disease.

Herpes infection may last only for few years even in untreated.
Vitamin supplements may be taken but are not very specific.

Regards.

Dr. Prasad.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with herpes simplex and chlamydia. Do I have other viruses? What can I do about HSV? 40 minutes later
Hi Dr,

Do you recommend that i retake the test again? and if yes what test should i take? until today i do not see any outbreak on my genital area.

thx
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 13 hours later
Thanks for reverting.
I suggest that you can repeat the test after six months and if the titre decreases, there is no need to worry.
If the titre increases but you have no genital ulcers, then also there is no need to worry.
You would need to take treatment only if you have an outbreak of genital ulcers.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Prasad pvs