Diagnosed with grade 2 varicocele on left and grade 1 on right testes. Is it due to sex and masturbation?

Urologist
Question
Last week i was diagnosed with grade 2 varicocele on my left testes and grade 1 on the right. The pain is mostly on the left occasionally shifting to the right. But i dont see any bulges of the vein though my left scrotum is swollen when shrunk. My left testes has risen above almost touching the penis. Does this happen with varicocele? Today is the 24th day of this problem. My urologist is treating me with 20 days antibiotics for an std i had after which he ll check for my semen count for further treatment. As of now i have a healthy sperm. Had UTI on XXXXXXX 13th due to unprotected sex which came back twice. The third time, testicle pain started.
Can ultrasound reports go wrong at times? since doc says this has nothing to do with std.

What about sex and masturbation? does sex/masturbation aggravate the situation as of now? does it effect varicocele?
I ll be marrying in 2 months. I m getting paranoid.
Awaiting your response.
Posted Tue, 9 Oct 2012 in Testicle Problems

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later

Thanks for your query to XXXXXXX
VARICOCELE IF present on clinical examination needs surgery.
Sub clinical VARICOCELE as diagnosed by ultrasound only - needs no immediate intervention unless it interferes with sperm count.
Sex and masturbation do not affect varicocele in any way.
The position of the testes in relation to the penis depends on the temperature variations of the body and the presence of varicocele.
Ultrasound is more sensitive than hand and can detect varicocele in early stages, but it can also be wrong as it is operator dependent.
AS long as u have interest in sex, good erections, getting married is the best.
Hope this helps, kindly get back for doubts if any.
Dr GS

Follow-up: Diagnosed with grade 2 varicocele on left and grade 1 on right testes. Is it due to sex and masturbation? 2 hours later
My ultrasound was done by my urologist. do u suggest a second ultrasound?
i dont have sever pain. just mild pain that varies which is constant. Ultra was done only on lying position.
I still have normal erections and the interest.

As for the testes position, i have never seen it rise this high before. When the scrotum is loose, the right hangs down normally, but the left is like in the middle instead of being in the left.

some days back, after i ejaculated, i felt pain in my testicle which lasted few hours. last time i didnt feel the pain. Its the after sex/masturbation pain that worries me.

How long will the swelling of the scrotum last.
p.s I m having voltaren 50mg, 1 pill a day. Is it ok to increase it to 2 pills.

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 43 minutes later

Thanks for the reply.
There is no need for repeat ultrasound, if it is less than 6 months.
Voltaren can be taken twice daily after food.
Only a physical examination can say if the lie is normal or not and also about the swelling.
If your doctor has examined and reassured you, then there is nothing to worry.
There is no specific reason for occasional pain after ejaculation. If it persists, there may be infection in the prostate and the doctor will address it. A course of antibiotic should take care of it.
Hope i have answered your queries. Kindly get back for doubts if any---

Dr GS

Follow-up: Diagnosed with grade 2 varicocele on left and grade 1 on right testes. Is it due to sex and masturbation? 7 minutes later
Yes, the doc said i i have infection on the prostate for which i m on antibiotics for 20 days. ceftriaxone injection for 5 days along with doxycycline 100mg for 10 days.
Levofloxacine for the next 10 days.

Now does occasional sex/masturbation effect prostate infection?

How long will the swelling and pain of the scrotum last usually with antibiotics for prostate infection and for varicocele.
regards..

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 11 hours later

Thanks again.
U can have occasional (protected) sex and masturbation.
Once the course of antibiotics is over, u should be comfortable.
Pain scrotum - if persists - can be addressed by a minor surgery (varicocele ligation).
Hope things are clear now....
Wishing u all the best,

DR GS

Follow-up: Diagnosed with grade 2 varicocele on left and grade 1 on right testes. Is it due to sex and masturbation? 3 days later
I have uploaded my ultrasound pics and report. Kindly, give me your opinion.

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 9 hours later

Thanks once again. I had a good look at the images and the report.
The varicocle on the right side may be left alone at this point of time.
Left varcicolele ligation needs to be done only when there is varicocele on clinical examination, scrotal pain or low sperm count/ motility.

Hope this answers your query. Kindly get back for doubts if any,
D GS

Follow-up: Diagnosed with grade 2 varicocele on left and grade 1 on right testes. Is it due to sex and masturbation? 5 hours later
Thanks for reviewing the reports. It could also be that the pain is due to prostatitis and not varicocele, bcoz all this started after the infection. this is what my urologist said. correct me if i m wrong.
If it is prostatitis, how long does the pain last with treatment. today is the 9th day of anti.b and 28th day of testicle pain.

Am i on the right medication for 20 days course.

I will be on an official trip to malaysia and thailand on 24th of next month i.e 24th October for a week. Can i go ahead with this trip.

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 3 hours later

Pain could be due to prostatitis also. But if the testicular does not subside with antibiotics u may need varicocele ligation. It is difficult to predict how long it will take for complete pain relief.
The normal course of therapy for prostatitis is one month.
You can proceed with the trip.

Hope this helps,
Dr GS

Follow-up: Diagnosed with grade 2 varicocele on left and grade 1 on right testes. Is it due to sex and masturbation? 13 days later
I have a query? I had 2 courses of antibiotics, doxcy and levofloxacin which i completed 3 days ago. But, today i realized i had forgotten to take the last pill of doxcy. What do i do now?

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later

Great to hear u again.
Forgetting a single dose does not give rise to any serious problem or complication.
Take care,

DR GS

Follow-up: Diagnosed with grade 2 varicocele on left and grade 1 on right testes. Is it due to sex and masturbation? 1 hour later
HI,

Yeah but does it make the course incomplete? Can i take the last pill now?

I have uploaded my reports. please give your opinion.

Hi

If u r worried, kindly take the pill now, but thats not what we recommend generally as it is 3 days since the last dose.
I cannot find anything abnormal in your new reports.

take care,
DR GS

Follow-up: Diagnosed with grade 2 varicocele on left and grade 1 on right testes. Is it due to sex and masturbation? 44 minutes later
I have uploaded my initial reports when i was infected. The dates are the file names.
What do you think is wrong with me?
I took two second opinions and they assured me the pain is not because of varicocele. really confused.

As of now, the pain has reduced but still it is on and off with shifting pain. I think i feel some discomfort after passing stools.
P.s.. discomfort in the urethra which lasts about an hour or two and pain in testicles but rectum is fine.

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 22 minutes later
Hi

You have been treated enough for prostatitis.
There is something called non bacterial prostatitis or chronic pelvic pain syndrome and pls discuss these issues with your doctor. Pls stick to one doctor as it needs regular followup.
Pls follow general measures like healthy diet, enough water intake, dry fruits intake, practice yoga and take mild dose of anti- anxiety medicines to reduce your worry.
These are chronic issues little difficult to treat. U need regular check up with your doctor.
Unfortunately as i cannot examine u physically, exact advice is difficult.
DR GS