Diagnosed with gastritis. Suggest medication?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have been diagnosed with gastritis what [if any] medication would help alleviate symptoms
Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
at start it can be treated without any medicine.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX thanks for the query.
I depends how severe your symptoms are. There are several possible treatment options. First and best will be if this is treated by changing lifetime and dietary habits. So avoid alcohol, coffee, fried food,spicy food and carbonated drinks.lose weight if necessary and try to eat more frequently but smaller meals. diet should include all fruit and vegetables,boiled meat, milk products and healthy fats and carbohydrates.
If this is not helpful then you need to take medicines called proton pumps inhibitor such as omeprasole,nexium or pantoprasole. This can be taken daily or you can take it only when you start to feel depends on you. Other medicines such as ranitidine or antacids are less effective but may be used too. So if you have severe difficulties you probably need drug therapy.if you have mild gastritis and heartburn only occasionalu then try with conservative therapy.
wish you god health. Regards
Follow-up: Diagnosed with gastritis. Suggest medication? 1 hour later
I have complied with ALL the restrictions on a 'anti reflux diet' but the symptoms are very consistent and restrict my quality of life
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 11 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
If nexium isnt helpful you may try with antacids or ranitidine but I doubt it will have effect.
Your greatest problem is probably hiatal hernia which commonly can't be treated by medicines because it is positional disorder of stomach and esophagus. Food restrictions and nexium can only relieve some symptoms bit it won't cure hernia.
So if there are severe difficulties and no improvement I suggest surgery called nissen fundoplasty or sympatectomy which can be done laparoscopicaly today. This is last option but it can be considered in some cases.