Diagnosed with epilepsy. Should I take diazepan, amitriptyline and propranolol or lamictal?

Question
my cadiologis prescribed my diazepan amitriptyline and propranolol and my neurologist wants me to get off of it to get me on lamictal by the way i am diagnosed with epilepsy by both specialist and i dont know whos side to choose
Posted Thu, 30 Aug 2012 in Epilepsy

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 36 minutes later

Diazepam and Amitriptyline do not have any strong indication in cardiac illnesses.No heart condition needs the above drugs as definitive treatment.

I would consider it is wise to go on with Neurologist's advice as the diagnosed condition Epilepsy could be more serious than the heart problem you have.

Propronalol and Lamictol would be necessary.I would suggest you to ask for an alternative for propronalol to either of doctor or specially to the Cardiologist.

Lamictal is what you may be needing for the epilepsy.Do continue on that.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with epilepsy. Should I take diazepan, amitriptyline and propranolol or lamictal? 19 hours later
lamictal makes me feel worser than before i started taking diazepan and amitriptylin and propranolol

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later
Hi ,

Lamital (Lamotrigine ) is one of the best accepted anti epileptic.Since its action is on the brain and the active centres it may cause mild discomfort in the beginning.

I still feel it would be wise to follow the neurologist opinion as he has a condition diagnosed which needs a special attention.

Hope I cleared your doubt.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with epilepsy. Should I take diazepan, amitriptyline and propranolol or lamictal? 44 hours later
i asked for change in meds this disconfort was as if i was roting and he got me on keppra. the only symptoms i get of this one is anxiety and mild depression

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Keppra is a newer drug with least side effects.

The above drugs are used on long term basis and most of them do have starting side effects which disappear on own and do not last for more than 15 days.

You can continue on the same without worry.