Diagnosed with eczema on scalp. Suggested to apply olive oil on the scalp. Any treatment?

Dermatologist
Question
My dermatologist says that I have eczema on my scalp. Can you have atopic eczema on your scalp (dry scalp) and it just be plain old eczema and not Seborrhoeic dermatitis? It is at my hairline (itchy patches) and throughout my hair (i have sore, itchy spots).

Please advise as I don't know how to treat this. My dermatologist recommended olive oil on the scalp??

Thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 33 minutes later
Hello.
Atopic dermatitis involving only scalp is doubtful.
In my opinion, it can be any of the following condition.
1. Seborrhea of scalp.
It presents with itching, greasy scale and also there is bit itching on face.
2. Scalp psoriasis.
This presents with dry powdery scale occasional bleeding from scalp and the lesions extend beyond hairline.
3. Eczema of scalp.
It presents with oozing from scalp and the hair become sticky.
Kindly upload a few photographs, especially of the hairline, this will help me in giving a closer diagnosis. You have a feature to upload the reports by yourself on the right side of this query page. Please utilize it.
Wishing you a good health.
Thank you.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with eczema on scalp. Suggested to apply olive oil on the scalp. Any treatment? 47 minutes later
Thank you for your reply. My doctor believes that it is eczema of the scalp.. How do I get rid of it??
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 4 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for the follow up query.
Use sebowash shampoo alternate day. It is a mild steroid.
Use it for a month, you will get good results.
Thank you

Follow-up: Diagnosed with eczema on scalp. Suggested to apply olive oil on the scalp. Any treatment? 1 hour later

Can you have eczema of the scalp and it not be seborrhea? I am trying to take photos but it's really hard to see anything. What us sebowash and where can I get it?

Thanks, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
I don’t think it is eczema because in eczema there is lot of oozing of fluid from scalp and even it becomes painful and infected. However you have more of scales, hence seborrhea is the most probable diagnosis.
Sebowash is a mild steroid containing shampoo. It is very good in seborrhea.
In your country it might be available with different trade name.
The chemical name is fluocinolone acetonide.
Just ask a chemist, shampoo containing fluocinolone.
Photograph would have cleared the diagnosis. Any how even if it is eczema, sebowash will give good result even in that. So you can use this shampoo.
Hope you get relief with this.
Thank you

Follow-up: Diagnosed with eczema on scalp. Suggested to apply olive oil on the scalp. Any treatment? 34 minutes later
My dermatologist said that my scalp is dry, my skin is not greasy. the hairline is itchy and is sore. There are also red dots in my scalp that are sore and itchy. It feels very dry. I will try and upload a picture.

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 3 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

The photograph shows only your face and bit of hair margin.

If it is dry then it cannot be eczema, as eczema has oozing lesions.

Also as you mentioned it is not greasy, and more lesions along the hair margin, scalp psoriasis becomes a much stronger possibility but not eczema.

Still I recommend you to use the same shampoo as in dermatology mild steroids are the first line of treatment of any non infectious inflammatory condition, whether it is psoriasis, seborrhea or eczema.

I am sure you will get good results with it.