Diagnosed with ear infection. Prescribed antibiotics. Suffer headache, earache and loss of hearing. What should I do?

Jun 2015

I recenty was diagnosed with an ear infection. I was prescribed anti-biotics for a week and the pressure went away as well as the pain. Some of my symptoms included puss, headaches, poor sleeping, earaches, and loss of hearing. I stopped taking the antibiotics last Sunday. All of the symptoms, except my hearing loss, went away. I thought my hearing loss was a result of ear way build up and purchased debrox to try and clean my ear out. I went to the nurse at my work and she examined my ear and told me green pus was inside and thatd I should see my doctor again. Is the green pus a result of the debrox or just leftover from the ear infection? And what should I do?
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Persistence of ear infection

Detailed Answer:

Presence of green pus along with the persistence of loss of hearing is an indication of the persistence of infection.

Persistence of infection even after anti biotic therapy can be due to:
1. Inadequate duration of treatment (in your post, you have mentioned about voluntary stoppage of antibiotics).
2. Inappropriate selection of antibiotics against the causative organism.
3. Improper treatment of underlying cause of the ear infection.

Under such circumstances, the following corrective measures should be taken:
1. Discuss regarding the proper dosage of medications & adequate duration of treatment with your treating physician/ ENT specialist.
2. Culture & sensitivity of the pus/discharge to be done for selection of appropriate antibiotic.
3. Additional investigations like X XXXXXXX skull (including para-nasal sinuses) will be helpful in detecting any hidden focus of infection in the head & neck region.

So, kindly consult an ENT specialist for a proper clinical examination of ear & also to rule out any hidden focus of infection present in nose or throat, from where it can spread to the middle/ inner ear.
One more thing...please avoid putting anything inside the ear without consultation as long as the infection does not subside & you are completely symptom free.

Wishing you a good health & a speedy recovery.