Diagnosed with eagle syndrome. What are the measures to be taken to stop calcification of ligament? Surgery necessary?

ENT Specialist
Question
Hello I was recently diagnosed with eagle syndrome. This came up as a random finding during an xray and CT scan of the jaw. I am completely fine, but I need to ground my mind with some information. How many people have eagle syndrome? How many actually get surgery? If I do not have symptoms do I need surgery? Is there anything I can do to stop the calcification of this ligament?
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No treatment is necessary if there are no symptoms

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Eagle's Syndrome is rare. Though an elongated Styloid Process may be seen on imaging in up to 5% of the population, very few have symptoms. Out of these even fewer undergo surgery.

2. You do not need surgery if you do not have symptoms.

3. The elongation of the Styloid Process progresses at the expense of the Stylohyoid Ligament, which calcifies with age or under certain metabolic conditions. You may check your Calcium and Phosphorus levels, Pituitary and Renal function. If these are normal, there is little you can do in terms of stopping this process from continuing.

I hope that i have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with eagle syndrome. What are the measures to be taken to stop calcification of ligament? Surgery necessary? 6 minutes later
thank you. Do you recommend periodic xray or ct scans to see if it is growing (even without symptoms)? If so, how often?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Avoid imaging unless there are symptoms.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. Periodic imaging is not recommended unless there are symptoms.

2. It may cause excessive radiation.

3. My advice is to 'Leave well alone'.

Regards.